To get back on track, Japan needs to increase its exports. Economists has forecast annualized contraction of around 0.2%.
The poor first quarter snapped a string of eight straight quarters of expansion for the Japanese economy, which had marked the longest such streak in more than three years.
"But we need to be mindful of the impact of overseas economic uncertainty and market volatility", he added.
Cardi B Addresses Controversy Over Rita Ora Collaboration 'Girls'
Writing on her Twitter page on Tuesday (15 May), she wrote: "We never try to cause harm or had bad intentions with the song". Last Friday, singer Hayley Kiyoko , who is openly gay, took to social media to call the tune "tone-deaf" and "dangerous".
The broader Topix index of all First Section issues on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, meanwhile, lost 2.24 points, or 0.12 percent, to 1,802.91.
Economists say while the contraction is temporary, the rebound will not be almost as strong as previous quarters.
Markets Right Now: Stocks end mixed after early rally fades
Stocks are broadly higher at midday on Wall Street as investors hope that trade tensions will ease between the US and China. South Korea's Kospi slipped 0.7 percent to 2,458.54 while Hong Kong's Hang Seng dropped 1.2 percent to 31,152.03.
Domestic demand lopped 0.2 percentage points (ppts) of quarterly growth, driven lower by declines in housing investment and private business inventories.
Japan's economy contracted by 0.2 percent quarter on quarter in the January-March period, the Cabinet Office reported Wednesday.
It was the first decline in nine quarters, snapping the longest stretch of continued expansion since the late 1980s. Heavy snows in February also restricted household spending by keeping consumers inside and driving up vegetable prices.
The 'Deadpool 2' Post-Credits Scene Gets Justice for Ryan Reynolds
Deadpool 2 now has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 82%, which is slightly worse than the first movie's 83% score. Meanwhile, Deadpool is "accidentally" giving us a quick glimpse of his unicorn-based masturbatory habits.
"The economy is unlikely to continue to contract further".
- Manchester City is the best Premier League team ever
- Former Nevada Sen. Harry Reid treated for pancreatic cancer
- This Little Kid Just Peed All Over His Mum's Romantic Marriage Proposal
- UK, French and German foreign ministers to discuss Iran nuclear deal
- Google updates Pixel Buds with support for new gestures
- Wife of PGA golfer Lucas Glover arrested on domestic violence charges
- One Dead In Aliso Viejo Explosion
- Paul Manafort just got very bad news from a federal court
- WhatsApp Revamps Group Chats With New Tools
- EU Declares Win in Airliner Trade Spat With US