Non-store retailers - primarily e-commerce and catalog businesses - and gas stations tied for the best gain, each with sales up 9.7% from March past year. Sales at building material and garden equipment and supplies stores were off 0.6 percent for the month, though they were up 5.3 percent for the year.
Consumers snapped up electronics, shopped online and frequented bars and restaurants, but sales sagged at department stores, gas stations and clothing outlets, according to the Commerce Department report.
The increase followed a 0.1 percent drop in February, which was the third of three consecutive months of decline.
Manchester City Sponsors Release Painfully Cringy Video Celebrating Premier League Title Win
Manchester United now hold the record for the biggest winning margin with 18 points. Of course it's not going to happen next season the same - it's impossible.
Online retail sales increased 0.8 percent in March and have risen almost 10 percent compared to a year ago.
The Commerce Department said on Monday retail sales increased 0.6 percent last month after an unrevised 0.1 percent dip in February.
Non-store retailers like Amazon continued to gain, rising 0.8 per cent for the month, putting them up almost 10 per cent over March of previous year. "The biggest risk to spending is in market fluctuations that could affect confidence, but we expect these basic improvements in economic fundamentals to continue".
Grocery and beverage stores were up 5.9 percent year-over-year and up 0.2 percent from February.
NCSC advice to telecommunications sector about ZTE
Oclaro Inc (NASDAQ: OCLR ) saw its stock fall by more than 15 percent as ZTE accounted for 18 percent of its 2017 revenue. The U.S. action against ZTE is likely to further exacerbate current tensions between Washington and Beijing over trade.
Clothing and clothing accessory stores were up 6.1% year-over-year but down 0.8% from February seasonally adjusted.
Health and personal care stores were up 0.4% year-over-year and up 1.4% from February seasonally adjusted.
Sales by non-store retailers and furniture and home furnishing stores also saw notable growth, although the increases were partly offset by a steep drop in sales by sporting goods, hobby, book and music stores.
Sunday marks five years since Boston Marathon bombing
Boston is continuing service and commemorations in honor of victims and survivors of the deadly marathon bombings five years ago. Jane and Henry Richard, siblings of the youngest sufferer Martin Richard, and family members's basis, additionally spoke.
- Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. (FOXA) - Significant Runner
- Players, Fans, React To Manchester City's Title Win And United's Loss
- James Harrison announces 'final retirement' with Instagram post of kids' photos
- Armenians protest ex-leader's move to stay in power
- Russian Federation blocks Telegram, forcing Kremlin to switch communications service
- UN Security Council votes down Russian Federation proposal to condemn Syria strikes
- Released code name Samsung Galaxy Note 9
- HBO's John Oliver Says GOP 'Absolutely Blew It' on Corporate Tax Reform
- Bank of America (BAC) Shares Sold by Reliance Trust Co. of Delaware
- Rare win for China's LGBT community after censorship U-turn by Sina Weibo