Smith, 30, was accused of assaulting his sister's then-boyfriend, Christopher Woods, on July 4.
This is big news for the Raiders, as the franchise already released starting cornerback David Amerson just one day after Super Bowl 52. The Raiders released Smith today which wasn't a huge surprise considering his release would free up $8.5 million in cap space, without costing the Raiders any dead cap space.
Christian Petersen Getty Images
Smith was set to make $8.25 million in base salary in 2018, and his release comes with no dead money against Oakland's cap. However, the four-year contract signed in 2016 included an out this offseason that required no guaranteed money beyond 2017.
Smith is also facing legal problems.
Xbox One S and X Gaining AMD Radeon FreeSync Support
We already know the Xbox will receive a big software update in the coming weeks, including 1440p support for the Xbox One X . Microsoft will be rolling out FreeSync support next week to Xbox Insiders in the alpha ring.
After Ken Norton Jr. was replaced as defensive playcaller by John Pagano, Smith was used more to his strengths.
Cameron Diaz Has Quit Acting at Age 45, According to Selma Blair
After three years of marriage, the actress is ready to take the next step and expand her family even greater. We were reminiscing about the film.
Smith's two interceptions against the Dallas Cowboys on December 17 led Oakland, which only had five picks on the year.
Oakland will again seek to bolster the secondary in free agency, looking for a starter at cornerback to pair with last year's first-round pick Gareon Conley. His 32 tackles past year matched the fewest since his 2009 rookie season with Miami.
No. 1 Virginia leads nine from ACC into Big Dance
The NCAA Tournament field of 68 has been announced and the state of North Carolina has six teams competing for the national title. Virginia's marvelous 31-2 season was rewarded Sunday night when it was awarded the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament .
Smith recorded two interceptions in each of the last two seasons after totaling 10 in a combined seven years with the Kansas City Chiefs and Miami Dolphins.
- Captan Marvel Is the First Superhero Nick Fury Meets in the MCU
- Neil Walker signing with Yankees, per reports
- Women's Cricket: Australia beat India by 8 wickets
- Kinzhal missile fascinating facts: Russia's 'invincible' hypersonic warhead test successful
- Israeli PM warns of nuclear arms race in Mideast
- Arsenal blow away Watford
- Trump signs sweeping tariffs, defying trade war warnings
- MIT Researchers: 'Lies Spread Faster Than Truth'
- United States pushes UN for Ghouta truce as Trump considers Syria options
- Don't believe Pennsylvania Democrat's not a puppet: Donald Trump