Those charges included one offence of unlawful financial assistance contrary to section 151 (1) of the Companies Act 1985 in respect of a Dollars 3 billion loan provided to the State of Qatar in November 2008 (the "Loan"). The Bank of England, which is in charge of financial stability, didn't reply to questions about how it would handle such an event.
The Media's Olympic-Level North Korea Fawning Is a Disgrace
But conservatives in the South are furious at the initiative, accusing President Moon Jae-in of being a North Korean sympathiser. Earlier South Korean Prime Minister Lee Nak-yeon had hosted a lunch for the Pyongyang delegation at a five-star hotel.
The move comes after the SFO charged Barclays' holding company over the fundraising last June. Barclays does not expect there to be an impact on its ability to serve its customers and clients as a effect of the Charge having been brought.
Barclays pulled off a huge fundraising package to avoid the need for a Government rescue but the Qatari part of the deal, through a loan to its Ministry of Economy and Finance, has been mired in controversy.
Cyberattack Hits Winter Games Opening Ceremony
But North Korea's record on human rights and the growing threat from its nuclear weapons program appeared out of mind. After months of tensions, the athletes from the two countries marched under the same flag in the parade ceremony.
The trial of Barclays PLC and four former top executives on a separate charge of conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation when they negotiated a capital injection for the bank from Qatar, is due to start next January.
The charges centre on investments secured from Qatari investors in 2008 as the banking sector went into meltdown.
Teenage star Chloe Kim shines in halfpipe qualifying in PyeongChang
Luckily, she found what she needed in the Olympic Village: churros. "It's because I want her to learn French". Teenager Maddie Mastro was fourth and Arielle Gold grabbed the 12th and final spot.
That included a 3 billion USA dollar (£2.2 billion) loan made to the State of Qatar acting through the Ministry of Economy and Finance in November 2008.
- White House poised to kick-off infrastructure plan
- Is 'girlfriend' Deepika Padukone really a reason of Ranveer Singh's high energy?
- Trump plans to privatise ISS
- Sri Lanka goes to polls in crucial vote
- North and South Korea celebrate peace through taekwondo show
- Bozdag: Turkey 'sensitive' over civilian security in Afrin
- South Korean Prime Minister to meet North Korean delegation
- Actor Amitabh Bachchan gone to Hospital . Write the poem, Is he OK?
- Facebook losing young users rapidly
- USA stands with Egypt in anti-terrorism operations: Tillerson