The Nasdaq composite also hit a record high, as shares of Apple gained 0.4 percent.
The Dow's 4.3% YTD gain and the S&P's 4% rise mark the best start to a year since 2003, and the Nasdaq's 5% advance represents the strongest start since 2004.
Amazon rose 1.3 percent and provided the biggest boost to the S&P and the Nasdaq.
"The economy is looking good, numbers look good, and companies are making money".
Crown Jewels were 'hidden in biscuit tin during war'
The trap door, used to access the secret area where the tin box was kept, is still there. She's a powerful woman with decades of secrets yet to be told.
Investors were also hopeful 2018 financial forecasts from US companies would beat Wall Street estimates as many analysts may not have tax savings fully reflected in their models as the tax bill was signed into law so late in December.
Earnings for S&P 500 companies are expected to increase on an average by 11.8 percent in the quarter with profit for financial services companies growing as much, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The Dow Jones industrial average climbed 228.46, or 0.9 percent, to 25,803.19.
Delta Air Lines rose about 2 percent after reporting upbeat quarterly profit as well as forecast, helped by higher business fares in a busy holiday season.
"The Post" is savory meat and potatoes Spielberg
For a thriller containing multiple story threads, " The Post " moves at a crackling pace (1 hour, 55 minutes). If you're looking for action that includes vehicle chases and weapons, you won't find it here.
The Russell 2000 is up 56.46 points, or 3.7 percent.
Advanced Micro Devices fell 2.66 percent after the company said its microprocessors are prone to both variants of the Spectre security flaw, days after saying its risk for one of them was "near zero".
Xerox shares jumped 4.22 percent after the Wall Street Journal reported the copier maker was in deal talks with Japanese camera maker Fujifilm Holdings that could include a change in control of Xerox.
All three indices closed at records on Thursday.
'Wakanda forever!' New video highlights the warriors of Black Panther
Black Panther takes place in the the technologically advanced African nation Wakanda. The film also stars Angela Bassett's Ramonda, Forest Whitaker's Zuri, and Michael B.
Volume so far on USA exchanges was 6.88 billion shares, above the 6.39 billion average for the full session over the last 20 trading days.
- Sooners fall to Georgia in overtime classic in the Rose Bowl
- Vatican paper calls 's---hole' remarks 'harsh and offensive'
- Pelosi slams 'five white guys' negotiating immigration deal
- Civil Rights icon: Trump's profane comments about immigrants were 'despicable'
- Trump Won't Say Whether He Spoke With North Korea's Kim Jong Un
- Police investigating report of man cutting off girl's hijab
- Britain's queen speaks about weight of the crown in documentary
- 49ers Linebacker Reuben Foster Arrested on Marijuana Charge in Alabama
- United Nations human rights office calls Donald Trump's immigration slur 'racist'
- 20-year-old from Florida claims $600 million Mega Millions jackpot