Petra Kvitova, also seeded second, suffered a shock defeat in her first-round match at the Tianjin Open.
Former World No.1 Maria Sharapova put on another banner performance at the Tianjin Open on Friday, as the Russian raced past Swiss qualifier Stefanie Voegele, 6-3, 6-1, to advance to the semifinals. The 30-year-old Sharapova, who returned to tennis in April after serving a suspension for taking the banned substance meldonium, has yet to win a tournament since then.
'Stranger Things' Premieres Final Season Two Trailer
What more could you want? "It's all connected to this singular threat, which is tied into this shape that Will sees in the sky". Lovecraft sort of approach, this inter-dimensional being that is sort of beyond human comprehension.
Voegele brought the game to deuce thanks to a couple of backhand unforced errors.
Second seed Williams, playing in her second match since the US Open, lost 7-5 6-2 to the Japanese, who is ranked 64th in the world. Sharapova credited the victory to her aggressive game in the opening set, the momentum of which carried her all the way to the second set and the victory. Sharapova hit a couple of double faults in the fourth game but the Swiss didn't manage to break back.
Technical Analysis Perspective: Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD), Spherix Incorporated (SPEX)
As of the end of the quarter Osborn Rohs Williams & Donohoe Ltd had disposed of 1,689 shares trimming its stake by 6.4%. The stock of Bill Barrett Corporation (NYSE:BBG) has "Hold" rating given on Friday, August 11 by BMO Capital Markets.
Sharapova took command at the end of the set.
Also on Thursday, Lin Zhu cruised to a 6-3, 6-1 win over Chinese Taipei's Su-Wei Hsieh, Belarus' Aryna Sabalenka posted a 6-3, 6-3 triumph versus China's Ying-Ying Duan and Spain's Sara Sorribes Tormo needed three sets to record a 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 victory over China's Yafan Wang.
Jane Fonda on Harvey Weinstein: 'I'm ashamed that I didn't say anything'
When pressed by Amanpour, Fonda said this sort of thing also happened to her in the past-though never perpetrated by Weinstein. One of the women who spoke, Rosanna Arquette , told me what had happened to him, it was a shock and a huge disappointment.
Linette is to wind up the season at next week's WTA International event in Luxembourg.
- Rishard Matthews Would Rather Quit Than Be Forced To Stand
- GOP's Collins not running for governor in ME , will stay in Senate
- BMW, China's Great Wall in possible EV joint venture
- Pakistan suspended from Federation Internationale de Football Association membership, can not play in global competitions
- Accepting Girls a Welcome Change in Boy Scouts of America Founder's Hometown
- BofA Posts Best Profit in 6 Years as Rising Rates Lift Revenue
- The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company (GT) Earns "Buy" Rating from KeyCorp
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola named Premier League Manager of Month
- Sergio Aguero returns to training just 11 days after vehicle crash
- ZTE Nubia Z17S and Z17 miniS with four cameras launched in China